Back to Articles
Softball: Baylor Uses Surge in Fifth Inning to Break Open Close Game with Louisiana
Bears plate six runs in the decisive inning to break open a one-run game
LAFAYETTE – In a game where both teams had chances at the big inning early on, it was Baylor breaking through in the fifth inning with six runs to pull away for an 8-1 win over No. 12 Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball on Thursday at Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park.
The visiting Bears (6-3) delivered three run-scoring doubles in the decisive frame and the pitching of Gia Rodoni prevent the Ragin' Cajuns (10-4) from getting any closer the rest of the way.
Baylor's fifth inning scoring spree came after a pair of scoreless frames in the third and fourth inning between Rodoni and Summer Ellyson, seemingly quieting down the offenses that had ample scoring chances the first three frames.
Louisiana had at least one runner in scoring position in each of the first four innings. After answering in the first inning with a Julie Rawls RBI single to draw even at 1-all, the Ragin' Cajuns couldn't come up with the response to a Nicky Dawson chop single down the right field line that brought in the go-ahead run in the second inning.
Five Bears batters reached the base path before the Ragin' Cajuns could get the first out in the fifth inning. Unfortunately, the visitors had pushed across three runs and stretched the lead out to 5-1. Karly Heath would later close out the inning and toss 2-2/3 innings of scoreless softball the remainder of the game.
Rodoni scattered six hits over seven innings in collecting the victory. Ellyson yielded five runs in her four innings in the circle.
Dawson led the Bears with a 4-for-5 showing at the plate, while Taylor Ellis led a group of six different run producers with two RBI. Jade Gortarez led Louisiana going 2-for-3 at the plate and turned an inning-ending double play on a ground ball in the third inning.
- Ciara Bryan's single in the second inning stretched her current hitting streak to a season-best seven games. Bryan has now reached base in all 14 games this season.
- Karly Heath has now worked 4-2/3 innings of scoreless relief since making her season debut on Friday, Feb. 26 vs. Buffalo.
- Julie Rawls' RBI single in the first inning increased her season RBI total to 14, pulling her within one of team leader Justice Milz (15).
- The Ragin' Cajuns continued their solid two-out hitting, following up nine two-out hits at McNeese with an additional five on Thursday vs. Baylor.
- The five runs allowed by Summer Ellyson were the most she's surrendered in 2021 and the most earned runs allowed by the senior pitcher since the May 2019 NCAA Regional at Ole Miss.
- Louisiana was dealt its largest defeat of the 2021 season and its largest home loss since a 9-0 (6 inn.) defeat vs. Florida in 2018.
- The Ragin' Cajuns and Bears met both on the field and at Lamson Park for the first time since March 2019. The game was a makeup for the canceled Louisiana Classics contests that were originally set for Feb. 12-13.
The Ragin' Cajuns wrap up the week traveling to Memphis, Tenn., for a three-game series with the Tigers (1-8), starting with a 1 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday, March 6 and ending on Sunday, March 7 with a Noon single game.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
- www.RaginCajuns.com -
Send this Page to a Friend!